climber advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to plant a climber onto a west(ish) facing house wall and would like some advice for what kind of things would be suitable. I would prefer an evergreen, probably something that clings? And something that does'nt take a lifetime to cover (I am knocking on a bit!! :LOL: ).

Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
Hi

have a look at the various ivys. I would consider Boston Ivy green in summer turning orange red in autumn, its losses its leaves in winter but the to me well worth having than something that stays the same all year round. it needs some support until established

good luck

Ivy has "hooks" that burrow into the cement and pull ot off, if you are getting old how will you trim it when it gets tall / our of control?

we had ivy, it was a right pain to get rid of, its hooks were all over the place.

i would suggest a tin of green paint, its safer.

Wysteria looks good, you have to tie it as it does not cling. It flowers for a short period during the summer.

I know someone who has quite an old one that has its branches trained about 30 feet to each side. It wil put on 5 feet a year. but can be pruned more easily than ivy as it has a perceptible main branch.

Sponsored Links
Some varieties of Clematis, will climb quite high, and give masses of flowers.

Does'nt breezer love his gardening.

Nick is right about Boston ivy, it won't wreck the pointing, unlike the bog standard green one; but they do grow like mad. I used to have one on a side wall and when it threatened to climb in the guttering we would cut it halfway down the wall ( do this in the winter) Next spring it would start climbing again. If you do it once every couple of years you shouldn't have a problem. I don't think there are any self clinging evergreens. There is an evergreen clematis - C.armandii, which is nice. If you don't get a self clinger, make sure you have a good strong trellis for it to climb on and check the eventual height of it. Remember you may have a steep climb to keep it looking good.

Nerine said:
Does'nt breezer love his gardening.

as i happens i hate gardening, i hate to so much i covered the whole garden in gravel (all 6 tonnes of it, i still need more)
the only plants we have are 3 russian vines (on the trellis, on the fence) 3 bamboos and as couple of plants in pots that Mrs Breezer planted, not forgetting my sunflower. My sunflower is here we did have an ivy in the front, but chopped it down when i found out waht it was doing to the brickwork

What a sweet little thing. Any songs yet, Breezer? Perhaps it only sings at night, you know Moon River, Tonights the Night etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back