Evergreen Climber Over Front Door???????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We would like an evergreen climber over our front door and front bay window. I have put up some vine eyes and supporting wires, got a hole dug and ready now need ideas for a plant. Have done some research but would like some suggestions. Something evergreen with Spring and Summer flowers. Something smelly would be nice but it has to be big and bushy and grow to around 6-8 metres. In our old house we had what i think was a Mile A Minute climber. This had lovely little white flowers and grew like crazy? Ideas anyone and some pics if pos. Ta

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping you will be discouraged from Mile a Minute vine, it's not evergreen, and it will take over - it's rampant, growing up to 12 foot a year. It's not really suitable for a house wall and in my brief experience of it, is loved by wasps.

Here are some of my favourites that would suit that situation:-

Lonicera Japonica 'Halliana' -
an evergreen honeysuckle and sweetly scented, creamy/yellow flowers but not in Spring, when the side shoots should be pruned fairly hard. Summer/Autumn profuse flowering and a delight to walk under as it doesn't seem to be bothered by aphids like other honeysuckles, therefore no creepy crawlies dropping on your head. Very vigorous but manageable.

Clematis 'Armandii' -
Large evergreen leaves with gorgeous scented flowers but only in Spring, none later. Vigorous and will quickly cover a large area. 'Apple Blossom' is the variety I've grown before.

Pileostegia Viburnoides -
a self clinging evergreen climber but not one I've ever grown. It wouldn't be my first choice.

Rosa 'Mermaid'
Evergreen in milder winters, vigorous but thorny with large single yellow flowers and showy stamens. Slowish in first year or two but will cover a big area in time. Long flowering season.

Jasminum Officinale
Now this is decidious but you can't have everything. Vigorous and strongly scented and flowering both early and late summer. Allow to grow freely but you seem to have sufficient space for that.
''one of the best of all climbing shrubs...often thrives in the heart of our cities''...said 19c Sussex writer William Robinson.

I do have another which is my very favourite evergreen climber but feel it might be too slow to get going for your purposes - 'Trachelospermum Jasminoides' - don't let that name put you off, I think everyone should have one of these. Long flowering season from mid summer, but as I say it can seem an age for it to 'take off' but once it gets going....it goes!

my choice would probably be the Lonicera or the Jasminum, for speed. See what someone else can come up with, maybe there's something newer on the market.

...sorry for the long reply..lol...difficult to be brief with gardening.

Thanks for your ideas. 3 were already on my shortlist so im in the right ballpark! One other i was thinking of, Chilean Potato Vine Glasnevin. Good idea?

yes, Solanum Crispum 'Glasnevin', I didn't list it as it's not scented, nor evergreen but it does have a long flowering period and is plenty vigorous enough too. Someone near me has a huge one growing over tall tree stumps and it's completely smothered all summer with those bluey purplish flowers, quite spectacular.

I think, for me, it would depend on what colour my house wall and windows were. Most of those I've recommended have white flowers, so if you have white walls and white windows, might be too much white, then I would choose the 'Glasnevin'. I doubt your walls are blue :)

Sponsored Links
I realised just as i pushed 'submit' that i totally contradicted myself. I wanted something smelly, knowing Glasnevin does not smell! It is how ever a beautifull plant, my neighbour has one and it is huge and very healthy. My house is a Magnolia type colour and i think green foliage and purple flowers would look really nice. Well, it all leaves me with ideas to ponder over but i think your suggestion of the Jasmine is best. Thanks for your help.

I agree with Lorena all of those are very good and safe options!

my 2p worth (I love russian vine, aka Mile a minute)

first it isnt an ever green, ours is "dead" looking now

to say it grows 12 feet in a year is not true. It really depends how much there is before it grows as to how much it will grow.
We went on holiday for 2 weeks and it rained here, when we got back the russian vine had grown about 300 yds, i kid you not. but you have to bear in mind it grows from all over itself, and after a while the grown bits get bits growing on them, so if i had of chopped off alll the new bits, layed them end to end, 300 yds no problem.

Hello all, went with the jasmine in the end. I have most of the other climbers in my back garden so thought to go with something new. I did put in a mile a minute in my last house and i was staggered at its growth rate. The plant was about 18" tall when purhased and in 2 seasons was huge. Really really big. My neighbours even knocked and complained as it had worked its way into there lean to and was taking over! I don't know if it was the quality of my soil or if they just grew that quick. Anyway, thanks for all the advice and happy gardening to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back