Climbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Main hobby for me is climbing, weather it be indoor or outdoor, I love the outdoor trad climbing, but alas with the weather now been rather poor I have to resort to indoors. That is until the snow arrives and then I get to play in that, I love winter ice climbing, am not the greatest by any means, but it puts a huge smile on me face. any other members into climbing?
Steve

Sponsored Links
Many years ago I went with Venture Scouts to Snowdon Summit on new years day really enjoyed it but joining the College of HE as it was then climbing and hill walking club scared the life out of me and I gave up climbing but continued with hill walking.

Years latter when son was in Scouts I was invited as a parent to abseil down a cliff face with rest of parents so said yes and donned gloves and grabbed rope and started to descend which caused dismay in the eyes of instructors as it seems now they use safety line and special device to control descent not friction of rope on ones back.

Nice to see safety has improved but my mauled hand and resulting problems with cold means I can never again do any climbing but hill walking I can still do. Nothing requiring ice axe walking poles are good enough and most local so I have no problem getting lost in the mist.

However a visit to Peak district this year reminded me of the problems when weather changes and one ends up on the wrong route. I aborted the off road walk and followed roads only when the visibility dropped but ended up 12 miles from where I was aiming for. Lucky phone worked and my wife picked me up.

I do carry a radio as well as phone but my wife is not licensed so not sure on how good it would be! I don't know if CB is still used or if the 70cm band is more used? I am sure in the end some one would pick up a call on 144.500 call channel but more likely would need to use one of the local repeaters and not being local to area did not know how to access.

So interesting to learn how you ensure if things go wrong that you can call for help. Until it went wrong never really thought about it but I do now.

I used to climb 2-3 times a week indoors a few years ago and managed to get some outdoor stuff sorted in the Peaks and Lakes along with a lead course in Snowdon.

Just talking to the guy I used to climb with a few days back and we haven't been for a good few years now, we did do a mountain course in Switzerland 10 years ago and he went via ferrating with his son for a couple of seasons but I could't go due to family commitments.

Will be looking to get my kids into it now if I can afford it, they chop and change hobbies to much for my liking but I'm willing to let them try everything they can.

I still have all my ropes harnesses, carabiners etc so no need to by too much new stuff for them!!

Sponsored Links
any other members into climbing?
Steve

Climber here, knocking on for 30 years now. Have tapered it off now since my daughter came along though I bought her her first harness last weekend.
The vast majority of my climbing has been on the grit and am hoping to get back out on it soon.

Back