Weather compensation DIY outdoor sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas CH boiler capable of weather compensation. The official Remeha outdoor sensor costs upwards of £70, while one for an Ideal boiler costs more like £25.

I'm tempted... but then on Ebay an indoor/outdoor thermometer with LCD display and all sorts of bells and whistles costs under a fiver.

So (being cheap) my inclination is to go DIY, but searching the web has failed to produce any info on what the 'outdoor sensor' actually is, how it works or how I can make one.

I'm tempted to just butcher an indoor/outdoor thermometer, connect the outdoor bit up and see if it works, but I thought I'd ask here first, cos someone's bound to know more than me :)

Has anyone played around with this?

Sponsored Links
The official Remeha outdoor sensor costs upwards of £70
BHL are selling them for £25.02. (Shown as Broag outdoor sensor.)

The sensor is a NTC thermistor in a weatherproof case with attached cable.

You can't use any thermistor; it has to have specific characteristics to match the internal program of the boiler.

Virtually all boiler sensors are a nominal 10k.

Your boiler manual should show this.

A sensor element is only about 32

Tony

Sponsored Links
fantastic, thanks very much to you both. That's a much more sensible price than I'd found, so I'll go with that and avoid all the calibration issues I was talking myself into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back