Closing off chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had my inset Gas fire removed by gas safe registered gas man.

I have closed the area left by the old fire with a thin aluminium metal sheet (closure plate) and sealed the plate on with gaffer tape.
Is this suitable enough for the job?

Chimney top already has a cowling to stop the birds doing their business down the chimney.

Sponsored Links
Have you put the plate across the face of the old fire or up in the chimney void? If across the face you should put a ventilation grill in to prevent internal condensation in the chimney.
What are your intending to do with the fireplace ultimately?

I have put the plate over the front of the old fire which has been removed and just a empty space. I intend removing the old marble back and hearth to replace with something a bit more modern, surround and electric stove type fire.
Electric fire we are looking at will not fit inside the old fire, so it will be freestanding on a new hearth/fire surround.

As you are using an electric fire you can simply attach a vent cover but get one with a mesh on the inside to prevent spiders/bugs crawling through.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back