Closing off chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bungalow which has a chimney that has not been used for nearly 10 years. It is completely closed off at the bottom(kitchin) and has had a capped vent at the top. Recently the render at the very top of the chimney has come away(this could be partly due to an arial strap having been removed earlier).
On the other hand it could be due to damp???

I decided that if I am to re-render the top of the chimney, that maybe I should put a vent in at the bottom(much preferably outside). This idea does not appear to be as simple as I first had hoped. Our bungalow has two chimneys joined together. The Kitchin and lounge chimneys are on the same outside wall, but the base's are several yards apart and they come together at the top to form a sort of Triangle. I dont actually know where the base of the kitchin's chimney is + the bungalow has purbeck stone at the bottom metre of the outside of the bungalow, which makes it even harder to locate. Other then demolishing the wall, is there some clever way I can use to locate the chimney(obviously the chimney goes up at an angle).

I did try drilling an exploitory hole above the purbeck stone, but it took me into a cavity of nearly a foot across. This I think is acting as the cavity of the outside wall before the chimney.? I removed the capped vent off the top of the chimney, tryed to push a rod down, but it would not go all the way down(it seemed blocked, but will verify this next week). However I noticed that the chimney goes down a ways and then goes inwards away from the wall, before going left to the kitchin(obviously I could only see so far down).

By the way I did notice that the top few brick on the inside of the stack felt a little damp. Due to mosture coming if from the cowling, or??

By the way I really want to avoid putting an air brick on the inside, although even that could be a problem to locate(the opening was bricked up against a flat wall. I would probably have to take the flooeboards up to try and locate the hearth?

My questions are
1) Is there any clever way of locating the chimney outside without taking out loads of bricks (probably not?)
2) If I simply sealed the top off, is that a bad thing to do. Air could not get in or out???
3) To make my life easy I could put an air brick in halfway up just before the chimney bends in from the outside wall. I can locate that easily and at least it would keep the top half of the chimney dry. Would this be good enough?
In fact I could close the chimney off, put an air brick at the top and an air brick halfway up. Would that mean that the bottom would get damp???
4) Whats the difference between a cavity wall (the cavity does not have any air bricks at the bottom??) and a chimney (given that the top has a cowling on it).
What I am trying to say is why does a cavity not need air bricks at the bottom???

Thankyou for reading this.

Phil

Sponsored Links
Not an expert in this sort of thing but you can hire a Cat scan cheaply. These locate iron pipes, elec cables etc underground. There pretty common on every construction site and can be hired at HSS etc. You can have a generator that attaches to pipes and sends off a signal or one you can put up pipes and the Cat will locate where it is to map out pipes. It could be used in this situation as long as it can be lowered down the chimney.

Dont seal your chimney up without vents.

Your walls do need cavities to vent air. Old buildings used to have fires burning pulling air in through just about everywhere and venting out the chimneys. You dont have chimneys anymore so you need to start venting your house ie loft space, walls, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back