Closing bottom of chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently moved into a bungalow and will be converting the lounge into a bedroom. Currently there is a fireplace which I want to seal up. There are no other fireplaces and the chimney breast is on the outside of the property. As its a bungalow with a short chimney, compared to a house, do I still need to put a vent in the bottom to let air flow from the bedroom up the chimney?
If yes, how small can I make the vent as I would want to avoid a great big air brick visible from inside the bedroom?

Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
you still need ventilation in the stack regardless of its size!

a vented cap on top of the chimney and 9"x6" plaster vent in the room is the requirement to keep the flue vented.

Its a little bit more work....but you say the chiney breast is external....so why place the air brick out side. so you get no cold air internally.

You can cap it if you want too...but it can wait.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back