Disused Chimney. Can I insulate it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a disused chimney in my dining room. Originally it had a cowl on the top and an airbrick at the base for ventilation. A few years ago, I took the chimney down below the roof line into the loft, and extended the roof over it. (The flashing needed replacing and I also wanted a few bricks for repairs elsewhere.)

I would now like to brick up the air vent at the bottom and fill the entire chimney with loose fill insulation. My thinking now, is that it is more akin to a cavity wall, than a chimney.

A drawing below shows the general layout. Does anyone see any problems with this?

Sponsored Links
As on one has answered your question for you, we will.

No problem with what you propose, providing top of flue is below roof line. As you say, it is a cavity within a cavity. Suggest Micafil. You require enough for approx 0.35m3 so 4 bags should do you.
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back