CLS door lining protruding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
I'm trying to fit a cls door lining but because I'm taping and filling rather than skimming, the lack of skim (circa 2 x 3mm) means the door lining protrudes 3mm each side.
What's the best way to deal with the protrusion? Cutting 6mm off the timber is going to be fiddly and risk damaging it / making it look crap, so how can I sort it so the architrave fit ok?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
One option is to rebate the architrave to sit over the frame, achievable with a power plane. Easy enough to do if you have the tools and have a good level of woodwork skills but not probably a great option if you are a novice.

One option is to rebate the architrave to sit over the frame, achievable with a power plane. Easy enough to do if you have the tools and have a good level of woodwork skills but not probably a great option if you are a novice.

I get what you are saying but many (but not all) architraves will only be about 4mm where they meet the door liner.

I am inclined to agree with @^woody^ , take the door liners out and rip them down. Use a saw/planer/bandsaw

Sponsored Links
Yes, it was assumed you get an architrave thick enough at the taper to accomodate the rebate. Option 2 would be to just cut thin strips of the same size of the the outstand and pin them onto the back of the archi flush with the external edge so once fitted they sit nicely flush. A lot less work than removing frames etc...

A lot less work than removing frames etc...
It's even less work if before making up or installing linings you check the thickness of the wall and adjust the lining material to suit by sawing and/or planing to suit. Even after making up the linings planing up is still feasible before doing the installation. Personally I'd haul it out, adjust the thickness and refit, because to me that is less work/faster than rebating or plant ons

If it's now on I'd just plant onto the back of the architraves, although I would note that it is probably easier to get 6mm material than 3mm which would mean having the lining hanging out at one side only, but only one set of plant ons

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back