clues on pricing to get a double bedroom painted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
A work collegue wants to get someone profesional to paint her good sized double bedroom. I have absolutely no idea what it would cost to get someone in to paint it. I am the one at home who is left with the painting myself and have never had the luxury of getting someone in to do it. Does anyone have any ideas what painters charge, i know an exact idea would be hard but any rough guide would be very useful.
Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Without knowing exact size it could be anything between £150 and £300 depending on what the client wanted of coarse and also area plays a factor. If you can make it as easy as possible for the painter ie remove furniture from a room then that would bring down the price.

Times spent carrying equipment in and out, protecting/masking areas not to be painted, filling and sanding minor cracks/holes, plus cleaning up : £30-£50

Emulsioning a ceiling approx 5m x 5 m (2 coats) : £80

Emulsioning over four already lined and painted walls (2 coats although it might need 3 if colour changing) : £100-£200 depending on area. If walls are plaster (rather than lined), add £50-£100 for filling and sanding to near-perfect paintable condition.

Rubbing down, undercoating and two coats of gloss/eggshell to skirting boards, window sills, frame, door and door frame : £120-£170 depending on condition. If previously painted with same trim coat, the undercoating might not be needed.

The above assumes that surfaces are in good condition, ie not in need of huge amounts of sanding and filling. If they are like the surface of the moon, add another days work at least (£100-200 depending on how experienced and good the decorator is).

So I'd say for a large bedroom you are talking about £400 plus. That's what I'd charge, anyway, to do a really professional job. If they just want a quick refresh they would be better getting a competent handyman in who'd charge about £200. Half as much again for London.

Hi apologies for the late reply but thanks to all who replied - really helpful

Sponsored Links
Half as much again for (central) London.

Plus £8 per day congestion charge, plus £30/40 parking per day or an extra £50/60 per week travelcard per decorator travelling 10 miles each way.

Not to mention 4 quid per pint ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back