Clyde Combustion 45.

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Serviced this boiler today. It is in an outhouse and built like one. Swept the heat exchanger, cleaned the burners and cleared out the combution chamber. Tempted to strip the burners but looking at the three screws on the endcap (and the gasket), left well alone as broken screws was very liely. Checked burner pressure (slightly low) and carried out spillage test. Spillage occuring. Also contrary to regs flue liner extends some 100mm into the outhouse to connect to the flue pipe.

The flue is larger diameter than the flue liner (very likely cause of spillage).

Can the regulars air their view on course they would take in this situation. To recap. Boiler outside (in an outhouse), flue liner exposed, spillage taking place.

The high limit stat was disconnected by the previous engineer (who was to come back and 'sort out' pilot outage problems). HW is gravity and CH is pumped with TRVs on rads. I switched the pump off and fired the boiler with boiler stat at max. The flow to HW cylinder peaks beyond 95 degrees C, at which point the high limit stat will put out the pilot.

Can this boiler cope with gravity HW circuit?

Pump also was pumping over so at some point during the boiler's life, the pump speed was reduced. Suspect three tee rule has been broken.

All views most welcome

John the Scruff, where are you?

Sponsored Links
Looks like no one is taking a bite at this post

this should be labeled and disconnected as you know dp, personally i would try to bring the installation up to a reasonable safe level if the cust was a regular or recommended. not familiar with baby clyde so cannot comment on suitability for grav is their a heat leak? does it work?if an unfamiliar cust go by the book and do the paperwork.

My immediate reaction is that a little spillage in an outhouse is not that serious. Was that with the flue cold, hot or what?

What I am more concerned about is that the boiler stat apparently allowed the boiler to reach 95*C. They are normally expected to shut the boiler off at about 82*C.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply guys.

Have not been able to talk with the manufacturers. The client has been appraised regards substandard flue. Client is not too concerned about spillage as boiler is in the outhouse. I have suggested that the flue is incorrect.

Tony the overheat stat kicks in at 95. Boilersat, like you say, is operating at around 82 to shut the gas valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back