co2 present, Ferroli F30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had an odd smell from our boiler cupboard, so we called our friend a Gas Safe engineer who came over with a gas detector. He got a reading of 4ppm and told us it was under the 10ppm level and said not to worry keep an eye on it(?!) and as you have a CO2 detector if the level gets too high it will go off or if you think the smell is getting worse let me know. He also checked for a Gas leak with the detector but that came up negative.

He said it could be a leak from the flue or boiler casing and maybe we would need a new boiler?

Can you tell me what the Gas Safe acceptable co2 level is and if we should be worried? Just for the record we had the boiler serviced about 4-5 months ago (same guy) and the boiler is at least 7years old.

Lastly out of intrest what is the life expectancy for an average boiler?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
He said it could be a leak from the flue or boiler casing

If this is the case boiler should be classed ID and made safe {capped off}

At 4 ppm the cat could have farted.

If you are in any doubt call the emergency gas provider possibly SGN 0800 111999 they will call in and do a fumes investigation.

Sponsored Links
At 4 ppm the cat could have farted.

If you are in any doubt call the emergency gas provider possibly SGN 0800 111999 they will call in and do a fumes investigation.

:LOL:

yeh right they will. :LOL:

It's under their remit and all reports of CO have to be investigated when reported.

If you ever want to stop smoking do a check on the air you breath in from a cigaret, hits 50 to 60 ppm made me stop.

nickso

Actions to take as stated on the HSE web site!!!!

What should I do if I think my appliance is spilling carbon monoxide?

Call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
Switch off the appliance and shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve
Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room
Visit your GP and tell him/her that you believe your may have been exposed to carbon monoxide

Does TOFO mean anything to you?

I stopped the tabs as it was like having a second mortgage.

Yes TOFO is used by lazy carless gas engineers who cant do their job. All cases of CO must be investigated.

Yes TOFO is used by lazy carless gas engineers who cant do their job. All cases of CO must be investigated.

And rarely are by TOFO's, most of them have vans and possibly even cars at home BTW.

carless,jobless,homeless when their investigated.

For what? Turning off an appliance when they find nowt wrong with it in the 2 minutes they take to make the decision not to mess with something of which they have no idea of how it works? No, I think not.

nickso

Visit your GP and tell him/her that you believe your may have been exposed to carbon monoxide

yes co is carbon monoxide co2 is carbon dioxide, one we breathe and produce normally co2 and the other CAN be fatal co.

As iam a smoker i produce 50-70 ppm CO after a fag and this is fairly acceptable,

lets say it would need to be a far higher result to kill you!

BUT an that is a very big BUT if you are concerned call out the emergency gas service on the 0800 number pointed above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back