Coal fire out, woodburner in, but loss of draft!! Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I have taken out a coal fire which was great but as most of the heat goes up the chimney I bought a multi-fuel burner.

The flow of air up the chimney did suffer down draft with the coal fire at first (3 years ago) but a UFO downdraft cowl sorted the problem.

I have taken approx 1sq m of bricks out to allow the recess for the woodburner (5KW). The flue has been swept before the removal of the coal fire as well as once more today. The 8" square flue is clear. UFO down draft flue cowl still intact.

The woodburner ignites and burns a nice fire however once I open the door to refuel smoke drifts from the baffle plate back into the room. I have both primary and secondary air vents open and have the lounge door open too.

The flue is like:

||
||
//
//
//
//
\\
\\
\\
||
||
________
| |
| |
-_____-
_|____|___
_
The flue is slightly more exaggerated than the diagram above, best i could do.

When i had the coal fire the lounge door was quite hard to shut; you could feel the draft flow. Now, there is no draft at all.

I have read lots of articles on down-draft which i think is the problem but still fumbling for the right air pressure..hmmmm.

I have tried a flue (5" diameter) flush maybe give a inch above the register plate in the chimney throat, not good. I have stuck with it nearer where the throat starts to zigzag and it is better.

As the coal fire was approximately 6-8 inches lower than the burner for primary air I think could be a issue?

Would the removal of the down-draught cowl help as i can feel air next to the baffle in the burner. I tried the lit match and it goes out near the flue but fine below on the grate.

Any possibilities or help bery welcome!!

Thanks,

Dave

||

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back