Water in fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my fireplace knocked about to take a woodburner. While carrying out the work my builder noticed some water running down the blocks that supports the chimney flue. The flue is one of them pre-cast concrete types that all slots together like lego. Anyway, had the chmney swept and I then fitted a closure plate and flue pipe and made it airtight with fire-cement. Got a qualified HETAS mate of mine to take a look at the job and everything was fine.

When I fire up the stove everything was great. Plenty of draw from the chimney and stove warmed up nicely. Then all hell broke lose with a trickle of water down through one of my fire cement joints. This trickle started bouncing and sizzling on the top of my stove and made the whole hose smell like creosote. I took aorund six ceral bowls full of this smelly water away before the fire went out. Took around three days for the house to stop smelling.

So, where did that water come from?
(1) Faulty cowl, chimney pot, cement? Unlikely as my mate fitted the cowl and said he didn't see anything wrong while he was up there.

(2) Problems with the lead sheet? Could be. I've got the builder coming round to havve a look.

(3) Condensation? Can't believe that this is the cause due to the volume of water (over a pint)

(4) Moist wood? Could six logs aorund 8" long and 5" in diameter hold this much water?

So, other than having a builder take a look at the chimney, especially the leading, does anyone else have some ideas?

I've got a multifuel stove? What about giving it a burn with some coal to dry out the chimney?

Sponsored Links
Well if it only happens when the stove is lit and you are burning green logs then it just has to be condensation. The difference in weight between a green log and a dry log is immense so there has to be a lot of water in there.

joe-90 said:
Well if it only happens when the stove is lit and you are burning green logs then it just has to be condensation. The difference in weight between a green log and a dry log is immense so there has to be a lot of water in there.

I could try a burn using coal? Should contain no water??!

Also stack the sawn logs under cover for a year before burning.

There is surprisingly little heat in a ton of logs, compared to a ton of coal. If you use half of it up in boiling out the water there is even less.

However, you say it is a woodburner? Check with the manufacturer if it will withstand the extra heat of burning coal (it is hotter).

Many stoves today are multifuel and will be OK.

Sponsored Links
Came home today and I have puddles of water and sloppy firecement all over the top of the stove. I haven't lit a fire for about a week so it looks as though the rain is getting in and that the lead on the chimney must be at fault. A builder has promised to take a look at it this week, but between the weather, Christmas and the fact he's a tradesman ;) means that I doubt that will happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back