Sealing stove flue joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed a flexible s/s flue liner within my chimney as part of a wood burning stove installation. When connecting the flue joints up I used a red fire sealant (silicone) suitable for a constant 250degrees and 300degrees max, I've since red that stoves and their flue gases can reach 400+degrees! It is almost impossible for me to take the joints apart now due to access but I was thinking of sticking my hand up the flue and smearing a 1500degree fire cement sealant around the joint but I'm worried this may become disturbed when swept?

I also ran out of vermiculite backfill and the last couple of meters of my chimney were stuffed with a bit of old glass fibre loft insulation around the new liner (thinking on my feet I a Sunday afternoon!), could this melt perhaps?

Sponsored Links
That stuff (silicone) will certainly fail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back