Smoking fireplace

Let your installer worry about that. :LOL:
A few more tubes of silicone should do the trick.

Just been looking at the MI's for your appliance.

Personally I'd scrap that piece of junk and fit a proper stove.

Sponsored Links
Ignore Norcs he is our own 'village idiot'.

He will be completely clueless of the temperature tolerances of silicone, in particular the fire rated ones. I bet he doesn't even realise they use it in car engines.

Well..its brand new and cost alot of money
So was this, and it cost £10K

GWiz460.jpg

Sponsored Links
How do we terminate the liner at the stove end? The stove is open at the back where it slides into the old fire hole and is sealed to the fire surround.

The fitter should know how to do it.
Might have to fit a stainless steel gather and then attach the liner to it.

Ignore Norcs he is our own 'village idiot'.

He will be completely clueless of the temperature tolerances of silicone, in particular the fire rated ones. I bet he doesn't even realise they use it in car engines.

Fire cement is rated at 1200c. And for a reason.
How many car engines reach 1200c?
Apart from when they catch fire.

"it's sealed against the sandstone surround with high temperature silicone (which has already started to fail). "

The clue is in the above sentence imo.
If the silicone has failed then its not meeting the temperature requirements.
So if the installers have made an error of this caliber then what else have they bodged?

So how have the installers created the seal between the rear of the stove and the flue?
I reckon they've bunged it in carelessely and the flue draught is sucking straight past the dodgy siliconing.

If the silicone is rated at 300C then its a fire hazard and also will release highly dangerous toxic fumes ( which could ignite) into the property when it fails under high temp on a stove install.
Its real nasty stuff in other words.

I've been down tonight and had a look at what they've got. I opened the glazed door and got a facefull of cold air, a terrible icy downdraft. Dad said that when they fitted the fire, there were one or two bits over..some sort of deflector plate they left out? We've rang the manufacturers and they make a throat plate to adapt the rear of the fire for a flexible liner.
What is worrying is that the ashpan is full of fireclay lumps and also jammed under the grate were two 6in square sandstone tiles taken from the fire surround!
As far as the silicon goes, I can push my hand through it up to the knuckles and into the old fireback...so it's hardly sealed!

I'm thinking a complete, proper refitting by a third party and a flue fan to combat the terrible downdraught. I don't think a liner ill reverse the draught that much???? I'm surely right to doubt the competence of the original installer??? I re-iterate..the stove's hardly been used!

The ole people years ago knew how to build houses.
Chimney in the warmest part of the house. The center!
Then no problems. Same as my gaffe.

Your chimney seems to be on the north west side on an exterior wall.
No wonder its freezing.
You could use the stove as a plug and fill the chimney with concrete using a boom pump. :LOL:

I've been down tonight and had a look at what they've got.

I don't think a liner will reverse the draught that much???? I'm surely right to doubt the competence of the original installer??? I re-iterate..the stove's hardly been used!

That was kind of you.

Perhaps an insulated liner, with an insulator (not vermiculite as it soaks up water) poured in after lining?

Lots of bodgers in the building trade, alas. It seems to me that only a mug employs a tradesman to do a job without having already learned how it should be done.
Or perhaps, how it should not be done.
On occasions, that mug has been me :{

If you employ someone else to refit it, I'd employ them on the basis of 'no cure no pay'. That will eliminate the duffers, they won't want to get involved.

I guess this is a not uncommon problem... see....

http://inspectapedia.com/chimneys/Chimney_Draft.htm

Ivor

http://tinyurl.com/728mec3
:mrgreen:
Jolly good.

Page 8 ... Yet More Thermal Influences... this is the problem we had, except that it was caused not because of different heights, but simply because one flue was less efficient that the three others pulling against it.
Sometime the fire would light, sometimes it puffed smoke into the room for a few seconds and then got going. If I could be bothered, I pre-heated the flue with a hairdyer, that's all it needed.
And, we had the 'smelly flue' problem in summer.
This went on for 20 years, I only worked out the cause after we sold the house. I wonder if the current owners sussed it.
Have to say, the fire never blew back to the extent the OP described.

Ivor

Oops... went and posted this as a new topic...

Reading more of this excellent exposition, I come to page 12 - Barometric Damper.
This is exactly what I need for the stove in one of our rooms, which has waaay too much draft when it's windy.

Where can I get one? I only see them listed in the US ??
OK, I can get it from the US, but still.....

Ivor

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/building/barometric-damper.403970/#3120854#ixzz33NtLaJer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back