Chimney smoke from two pots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live in a 1900s terraced house with a brick chimney (not lined).

We're looking at installing a woodburning stove. We have had the chimney swept today - afterwards, the sweep did a smoke bomb/draw test. He noticed that about 90-95% of the smoke was coming out of the correct chimney pot but about 5 - 10% was coming out of a different one.

The smoke didn't come out into any of our rooms.

He said that we need a chimney liner (quoted c £1,300+VAT to fit 9m liner and register plate).

My question is do we really need one? There wasn't much smoke going into the wrong chimney and it was still leaving the building (albeit the wrong way).

What issues could there be if we were to continue installing the woodburner without a liner?

To be on the safe side, we were going to get carbon monoxide alarms in the bedrooms / lounge. If these alarms did go off, we could just stop using the burner and get it lined. Is there anything else we need to consider?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Sponsored Links
As you will be aware, each fireplace has its own chimney.
However, at the top of the chimney stacks on old buildings, there is some tapered brickwork called the 'feather' which occasionally collapses, allowing some smoke to escape from one pot into another......I guess this is your problem.
On an elderly property, I would definitely recommend a chimney liner, both for peace of mind, safety and the ease of sweeping. The condition of the existing chimney cant be assumed!
John :)

I'd second the chimney liner. Although it need not cost nearly £2k. I installed mine, just read the reg's and diy! I had the heatas guy just attach the fire and certificate. Cost me £300.

Its nicer not to have a liner, as the chimney breast gets nice and warm, but its not really an option for you. You could get crazy and dismantle the stack down to the problem leak and fix, but that is crazy!!!

Presumably the smoke is seeping into the other flu anywhere from about waist height in the upstairs bedroom right up to the stack / pots as that is where the two flues run side by side ?

Is the brick gap causing the leak more likely to be in the bedroom chimney breast which of course is plastered, in the loft or more likely somewhere in the stack on the roof ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back