To Flue line or not to flue line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am about to rip out an old fireplace and install a new wood burning stove in an attempt to make my old flat a lot warmer. I have been doing a lot of research online and so far I cant find the answer to a question I have -

Do I really need a flue liner?

I am not just trying to save money, I just don't think I need it (of course I could be wrong). Firstly my chimney is in good shape (an upcoming smoke text will confirm this when I have it swept next week)....and I live in a top floor flat of a converted house, my fireplace is in the lounge and the chimney stack is on an outside wall with no adjoining walls. In short any gas seep leaks will go outside anyway and not to an internal room. Plus my chimney is probably only 3 meters high too.

I am having it swept and I was hoping I could just fit a register plate, seal it all off with fire cement and then just have the stove flue pipe go through that and into the chimney. I guess a second question I would have is -

Would a flue liner make the stove more efficient and draw better or is the chimney cavity enough? Other than what I have asked here are there any important things to ask my chimney sweep or have him check out when he comes round?

Thank you in advance for any advice any of you lot can offer!
Cheers
Stu

Sponsored Links
Hi

If someone is installing the burner for you, I think by law they have to line the flu in order to give you a certificate (Maybe not so important now that the HIPS packs are defunct)

A liner would guarantee no leaks into the house, but your sweep should now the rules - ask him for his opinion.

You should know from your on line research that the installation of a solid fuel burning appliance is something that needs Building Control approval or installation by a HETAS registered installer for most domestic installations.

The idea behind this is to make sure the person doing the work is also competent to judge on the condition of your flue etc.

So the answer to your question - "do I really need a flue liner?", can only be answered by someone competent after doing the inspection!

It's a credit to you for asking the question as it shows an awareness. But I think you now need to move on and do the right thing.

If you don't line the chimney, you risk that the tar depoits on the flue will some time or other migrate through the brickwork and leave horrible and smelly stains on the inside wall.

The smoke going from a confined flue into a larger volume is going to slow down considerably and might cause back-pressure problems and poor burning.

I would consider taking the flue all the way to the top of the chimney for better functioning of the stove.

Don't know if a lining would still be required then or not.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all of you're contributions. I'll have a good long chat with my chimney sweep and go from there. If the stove is going to be most efficient and burn better with one then I will probably use a liner.

Thanks again
Stu

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back