Finishing a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone (I think this covers several forums!?)

Just pulled out existing 1930's fireplace, surround etc. back to brick. The bricks are in an ok condition and I have re-pointed.

We are fitting a small wood burner, have had the chimney swept and the have been advised the liner is in good condition. I have a couple of questions to the pros and those with some former experience, please :confused:

Behind the stove is single block which isn't that pretty! Can I use some Thistle One Coat to render over this? If we wnated to then paint what sort of paint would be needed? Or is there a better product?

The stove will be compliant with all regs (spacing around) and we would fit a flue pipe to register plate. Would we need to install flexilble chimney liner or could we simply use the chimney?

Sorry for the long post and would appreciate any help/info!

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Do not use Gypsum plasterboard or any base/finishing plaster products (Thistle one coat) in the fire recess or on the wall immediately surrounding the fire, it won’t stand the heat, will crack & will fall off. Here's a link to read;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211524
A search will bring up other related threads.

You could line the back of the chamber with a sheet of Skamolex - this is a Vermiculite board of varying thicknesses, that can withstand up to 1100 DegC, and can then be painted with a heat proof paint. If your chimney is sound and does not leak when correctly 'smoke tested', there is no need to install a flue liner. Check the heat output of the stove to determine whether you need to install additional ventilation eg a permanently open wall vent.
After installation this will need to be signed off by a HETAS registered installer or Building Inspector. :)

All good replies, many thanks, appreciated! :D

We have decided to *tile the back now and will be getting an installer in to conncect the stove.

*Any recommendations on tiles!?

Have also been informed since Oct 1st CO2 monnitor is now required :idea:

Looking for a good online supplier of 4" Stove pipes...

Cheers!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back