Coat tassles and electric planers don't mix.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apprentice mechanic (about 17 years old) took the cordless planer from my van yesterday and whilst using it and for some reason leaning down so low it snagged the tassels on his jacket and jammed in his neck.
He cut the machine free himself. And said it was close.
Have just spent an hour removing the friggin tassels.

Sponsored Links
Just think - he'll be master carpenter one day....

....or the again......

I think I must be lucky. Our lad is nearly 19 and came to us having already started an apprenticedhip elsewhere that didn't work out. He listens! He also reads anything snd everything technical you put near him. Dead keen!

Gave a different youngster my round nose shovel, square nose shovel and yard brush and he broke the shafts in all three of them.
Then let him use my metabo recip saw and he burned it out.

Gave a different youngster my round nose shovel, square nose shovel and yard brush and he broke the shafts in all three of them.
Then let him use my metabo recip saw and he burned it out.

I think your apprentices each need a mentor to show them how to use tools safely. ;)

Sponsored Links
We have another 22 year old who comes part time.
While back he almost sawed his left index finger off.
It has a metal wire in it now and is like a hook and has no feeling.
He did that at his own home on a dodgy scms.
Then a few weeks ago he went down through a roof 14 feet and was air lifted to hospital.
Got away with a few bruises.

He was planing a door,which he wasn't meant to be doing.
He is currently furloughed from his own job until september.

I had an apprentice working with me many years ago, (mid 1970's), who cut off the tip of his right index finger on a foot operated guillotine despite it having all the guards fitted.
Six weeks off week while it healed. Back a week and we were working on a rush job Saturday afternoon. He cut off the tip of his LEFT index finger on a hand operated guillotine, despite this one also having all the guards fitted!
To this day I have never been able to figure out how he by-passed the safety guards. He always maintained he didn't know how these accidents happened.

Only ever had one minor injury with power plane, squared off my finger nicely though .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back