Coating raw plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Its taken us weeks but weve finally managed to remove the horrid artex from our living room celiing. We did this by steaming the stuff off and in doing so managed to get back to the original plaster... which is in pretty good condition.

So, two questions spring to mind as to what to do with it now.

1) As we are back to plaster, do I need to coat it with something (PVA mixture or some sealant of some form)? and

2) Is there anyway I can insulate this so that any heat that is generated in the room stays in the room rather than heating the upstairs too?

In terms of the second question, I'm thinking something thats not going to take up more than a couple of mm. (insulating paint?)

Sadie.

Sponsored Links
if you are gunna re plaster you will need to pva it first, if not, you can wait untill ceiling is dry with no loose debris and as long as your happy with its surface, you can just paint it with ceiling emulsion i advise a matt finish, as this will not show any imperfections. also trhere is no way of oinsulating using any paint. you would need to uplift flooring above your room and insulate accordingly using loft insulation.

DONT PVA the plaster if you intend on getting paint to stick to it. Apply two mist coats of watered down matt white emulsion, by time you have done one coat it should be dry and ready for the second, once that has dried you can then do your top coat.

As above for insulating, nothing is going to work in the manner you described :(

Sponsored Links
It may have some heat reflective properties but is going to make very little difference to the thermal efficiency of your wall. You need an insulation barrier to make any significant difference to the thermal value & I doubt that “magic paint” will give you any noticeable improvement.

i suspect that you have a tennant above this room and you have high ceilings?
No, its a 3 bed house which we own and no-one else lives in it.

The reason for looking at insulation between floors is that when the heating is on, the upstairs always feels warmer than downstairs. This, we figured was something to do with the 2 foot of roof insulation the stops heat from rising any further than the 2nd floor.

By insulating between floors I thought it might help keep heat in the rooms where it is created/needed. In the same way that a radiator reflector helps keep heat in the room with the radiator as opposed to going through the wall.

Sadie.

Thermostatic rad valves on the first floor rads - Zinsser water based sealer on the de- artexed ceiling :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back