Cocoon in pupa stage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed a cocoon on my garden fence which is 5cm in length and 1cm wide and fawn in colour. It has been there for nearly a month and wondered what species it might be?

Is it too big for a moth? It is still alive and in its pupa stage as it moves when touched.

How long does it normally take to complete metamorphasis as it would be a spectacle for the kids to watch it erupt from its cocoon? Could it be removed from the fence to indoors without causing damage?

Sponsored Links
The cocoon looks now as if it is ready to produce whatever is inside as the internal body has taken on a distinctive dark form.

I would link a picture but don't know how to![/img]

Cocoon15Jul-1.jpg

Anyone recognise this?

edited. you missed the final ]

Sponsored Links
Why didn't my link to the picture work? I followed the instructions on the info page!

Doug99 said:
How long does it normally take to complete metamorphasis as it would be a spectacle for the kids to watch it erupt from its cocoon?
Sorry I can't offer any suggestions - pupae aren't my thing. Make sure it's not somefink 'orrible though...

thing.jpg

Softus said:
Doug99 said:
How long does it normally take to complete metamorphasis as it would be a spectacle for the kids to watch it erupt from its cocoon?
Sorry I can't offer any suggestions - pupae aren't my thing. Make sure it's not somefink 'orrible though...

thing.jpg

Is that Bob, after he had his teeth fixed?

I fear it may be a tasty snack for a garden bird.

Nothing came of it as the slugs eventually got bored waiting and had it for lunch. I disected what was left of it and it was some form of moth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back