Code flat roof - no space for ventilation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I'm doing renovations to my old 1905 house in the Netherlands, and I'm running into issues with our flat roof.

Basically, our roof has a terrace above. The roof already has flat windows installed, so we cannot have a warm roof as the extra height would be too much for the water to properly drain.

Previously, there was plasterboard inside on the ceiling, but *no* insulation. So I guess condensation was not an issue. Plus it was not a 'livable' room, so it was done on the cheap - I guess.

So I went with the idea of having a cold roof. My problem is that I simply cannot have ventilation. The joists run adjacent with the house. At the front side, we have the house (multiple stories) - so we can't put a vent. We also can't do a wall vent because there are big double doors going out to the terrace.

At the other end, at the end of the house, is the neighbours house. This time it is also only 1 story, so we have the option of having some kind of vent on top of the roof - but is that an option? I've only seen vents on the wall, between the joists.

Is it possible to do this another way? Perhaps having some kind of device that circulates air? Or perhaps vents on the top of the flat roof? And if so, can I somehow have a single vent instead of multiple vents between the joists (that would be a total of 14...

Or is there something I am missing. Is it possible to do this without ventilation, but not modify the top/outside of the roof?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm stuck.

Facing the front of the roof, where the rest of our house is:
kYT3Kwn.jpg

The back wall. Neighbours house behind this wall:
H5DRL9K.jpg

AGd8vif.jpg

View of the roof from above, looking towards the neighbours:
94K8liW.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could try a full fill method, though this is frowned upon in the UK for various reasons.

The idea is that you completely fill the space with foam board insulation thus removing any space for moist air. It has to be done robustly and with special attention paid to filling all gaps and using foil tape on all joints etc.

Another layer of insulation may be necessary across the joists, prior to plasterboarding the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back