Code S97 on Vaillant Ecotec Plus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Vaillant Ecotec plus boiler keeps on displaying code S97 (waterpressure sensor check running, demand for heating blocked) when in heating mode. Water pressure is fine. It has been doing this intermittantly for a month or so now. Had engineers out to it and they said it was a blockage in system and added chemical, inhibitor and a magniclean to it, however problem is still occuring. Last time I had them out they suggested bleeding rads to clear any air blockages. Have done all this to no avail. Boiler works ok sometimes for about a week or so, then have this problem. It's really fustrating!!! At moment, boiler pump comes on and then goes off, comes on - goes off, then we might get lucky enough to get to ingnition stage, then it goes off. We are getting some heat from rads, but its a right bloody palava!! Has anyone had similar problems
?

Sponsored Links
This is usually the connection to the sensor blocked. It needs to be removed to clean! Its only a 15 min job so I suppose they turned an £84 job into a £240 job. Thats called upselling ( or something ruder! ).

The canoe filter and the expansion vessel air charge can also help cause this fault. More often gives an F75 though.

The earlier sensors were red and the later black ones are better.

Tony

This is usually the connection to the sensor blocked. It needs to be removed to clean! Its only a 15 min job so I suppose they turned an £84 job into a £240 job. Thats called upselling ( or something ruder! ).

The canoe filter and the expansion vessel air charge can also help cause this fault. More often gives an F75 though.

The earlier sensors were red and the later black ones are better.

Tony

Thanks Tony. You are about right with that cost, which is why I am loath to call them back! Is cleaning the sensor a job I could do myself or would I be best to get an engineer in to do it? We have not had any F fault codes reported.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony. You are about right with that cost, which is why I am loath to call them back! Is cleaning the sensor a job I could do myself or would I be best to get an engineer in to do it? We have not had any F fault codes reported.

You said this was your boiler. Is it in fact in a tenanted property?

The S96 is a status code and is only normally displayed when you have asked the boiler what it is doing.

If its appearing during normal use then one of the others may know why.

Its pretty easy to just clean the sensor communication hole but there is likelt to be dirt in the hydro block supplying it abd also in the canoe filter.

At least if you look at the sensor and see how much its blocked that will give you an idea of how bad it is.

Make sure its fully inserter before pushing the clip back in. Note the colour of the sensor. Black good and pink not.

While doing that you could check the pressurisation of the expansion vessel according to the FAQs.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back