coded deadlock? Mum locks door and leaves key in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum continually deadlocks the door and leaves the key in the lock which has resulted in neighbours having to break in.
Sadly telling her not to hasn't changed things! (parents eh? Can't tell em, can't cart em off! : ) )
Can you get coded deadlocks for doors so it can be opened from outside without needing to be able to get a key in? She also leaves the lock button on the night latch as well just to make things worse.
I'll ask at the lockshop but wanted some independent views on this too.
Thanks in advance

Marko

Sponsored Links
I bought one of these for a flat.

http://www.digidoorlocks.com.au/product_2300.html

It cose me about £55 from ebay (they shipped from Taiwan I think).

You can set a four digit code for your mum, and a master code for yourself (which enables you to change the four digit code you give your mum in case she tells somebody!). So to enter, juts press four digits, and to lock from the inside, just press the button or turn the latch.

If it is an oustide door, your probably want to search for a differnet Milre make, that has a cover ...

Sponsored Links
My mum continually deadlocks the door and leaves the key in the lock which has resulted in neighbours having to break in.
Sadly telling her not to hasn't changed things! (parents eh? Can't tell em, can't cart em off! : ) )
Can you get coded deadlocks for doors so it can be opened from outside without needing to be able to get a key in? She also leaves the lock button on the night latch as well just to make things worse.
I'll ask at the lockshop but wanted some independent views on this too.
Thanks in advance

Marko
Why do neighbours break in when she is at home with door locked?

Change the locks/cylinders to an thumb-turn internally, so that she does not have to use a key to lock the door

Im with Woody
A thumb turn barrel is good because its permanntley on the door so no worry about her loosing missplacing the key once inside wether the dioor is locked or not.
Also when the door is locked from the inside you can ALLWAYS open it with a key from the outside .
Would your mom be ok remembering the code on a keypad lock?

The only thing i see against a thumbturn is that insurance companies dont like them because once inside the house an unwanted guest can easily open the front door on the inside to let themselves out etc, as opposed to the dead lock of a normal barrel.
Cheers Alan

Sadly telling her not to hasn't changed things! (parents eh? Can't tell em, can't cart em off! : ) Marko

Easy solution. Saw a tiny slot on the end of the key. When she leaves key in lock, they just have to take a slim flat screwdriver to turn the key and push it back inside.

Better answer is change to a cylinder operated deadlock.
Fit a "Hotel" cylinder EVVA ASSA and others make them.
Then a key will work from outside even if one is still inserted inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back