Coffee anyone? (Brown water in sealed CH system)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just bought some X100 to put in the sealed central heating system before the winter. I've isolated the bathroom rad and sucked out a litre or so of water and it was completely coffee colour (not black).

I'm kind of reading conflicting stories about this, some say the brown is ok whereas other say the brown is not a good sign...

I'm lost whether to just add the inhibitor and seal it back up and a little water to bring it back up to pressure or whether to drain all the coffee out of the system and do a clean water refill and drain a few times before adding the inhibitor to fresh water.

Last year the system had a clean out with X300/400/800 (can't remember which) and then was filled with X100 and fresh water after a few days (and a new PRV fitted as the old one just leaked all the new solution out if over pressured)

It's a Halstead Ace High Combi boiler with 8 rads.

What's recommended?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Let the boiler circulate around with the drain open and the filling look supplying water. Keep pressure about 1 bar with the filling loop.
Do that until the drain water start to run clear.

Maybe repeat the above after the central heating is back up and working regularly.

Let the boiler circulate around with the drain open and the filling look supplying water. Keep pressure about 1 bar with the filling loop.

Maybe repeat the above after the central heating is back up and working regularly.

If I drain the system and then open the filling loop whilst leaving the drain valve open then wouldn't the water going into the system surely only travel from the filling loop to the drain valve? These points are literally only 3 metres from each other, the water wouldn't flow through the system all over the house, would it?

Sponsored Links

If I drain the system and then open the filling loop whilst leaving the drain valve open then wouldn't the water going into the system surely only travel from the filling loop to the drain valve? These points are literally only 3 metres from each other, the water wouldn't flow through the system all over the house, would it?

You will be running the boiler so the pump is circulating it around.
It will be a mix of incoming new water and dirty central heating water.
You can also go for the complete drain down and refill a couple of times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back