Coffee machine waste pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am in the process of plumbing in a coffee machine, at present the waste runs into a stand pipe but the trap sludges up due to there being very little in the way of water flowing through it, what water there is has a high volume of coffee waste to contend with so the trap sludges up frequently. Ideally I would run the waste to a a utility nozzle on the trap of a nearby sink but the position of the machine does not lend itself to this. Has anybody had this problem in the past or any idea's?

Regards,

TW

Sponsored Links
No real answers, but my first thought is to flush the waste through regularly / automatically.

A timed supply somewhat akin to them garden hose timers set up to run, say, a gallon of water once a day straight down the waste......?

And I think to do as you suggest, 'attach it to a 'Utility Nozzle' on a Trap' would only make matters worse. The Trap you connect to will fill up with Coffee Waste in no time.

Why is Coffee Waste being dumped down the waste anyway?

Sponsored Links
And I think to do as you suggest, 'attach it to a 'Utility Nozzle' on a Trap' would only make matters worse. The Trap you connect to will fill up with Coffee Waste in no time.

i think as the sink would get used many times a day this will keep the trap clear of coffee.

i think as the sink would get used many times a day this will keep the trap clear of coffee.
And what else is getting dumped down that waste? I'd be tempted to ask why the Coffee Waste is going down the Waste Pipe. Is this a commercial job? If so then the Staff need to be informed that they cannot dump waste down the Plug Hole. Although it provides you with a steady stream of work if that is the case :)

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. I think that the coffee grounds are emptied into a bin and not intentionally washed down the waste. My understanding is that the only grounds that are being washed down are the odd little bit here and there, but given a period of time it is collecting as sludge in the trap. The only water that runs down thought the trap is the small amount from the catch tray on the coffee machine. I agree with the post about the utility tee to a sink as it would flow plenty water to keep the trap clear however this would mean a run of 3/4" hose with minimum fall so I am concerned that the hose would then sludge up. I think I am planning to put in a cold feed tee'd into the stand pipe with a tap which should be switched on for a few seconds once a day to keep the trap clear, or if I am feeling flash I may go for a timed switch! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back