"Coke bottle" effect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its very windy in Wales today, and for the first time since having our wood burning stove fitted in November 2016 we're experiencing the "coke bottle" effect, which I believe is due to the stainless steel flue liner vibrating during the strongest gusts. Not excruciatingly annoying in the lounge where the fire is, but in the bedroom next door (we're in a bungalow) its as loud as Hell.

When the fire was installed we had a new chimney cowl fitted: the type which is topped with a "hat" and has a birdcage around it. Would a different type of cowl or cap be likely to cure the problem?

We're quite high up, and exposed to strong winds blowing across a field next door to us.

Sponsored Links
the sound could be the wind goin through the cowl an goin down the flue liner.
ther are lots of terminal cowls like you describe.
call a HETAS in an ask for an opinion because thing is the terminal could be wrong type or its come loose or somethin else?

are you getin smoke comin out from the stove?

We haven't lit the stove yet this year, but there were no problems with it last winter. As I said, its only during the strongest gusts, but it is pretty annoying.

I'll contact the HETAS engineer who did the original installation and ask his advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back