cold basement radiators.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.

Need your advice. My brother has left me to look after his house whilst he works abroad which is 'let' to students. So i know i'm going to be using this forum quite often :)

Basically, all the room have been converted to bedrooms including the 2 basement rooms. THe students in these 2 rooms are complaining of cold radiators. I have bled them both - no air plus a good flow of water. However, in total there is 15 big radiators in this house so i'm wondering if the combi is struggling (its a 28kw Vokerra). THe flow and return head firstly up to the 1st floor and attic rooms (the rads there are nice and hot) so i think the basement rads are the last ones on the circuit.

Anything i can do to rectify. A local plumber has suggested adding an extra expansion vessel next to the combi - would that help?? Then he said new pump, powerflush, new boiler in that order.

Sponsored Links
have a browse through the first few items in //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

Try balancing the radiators

A chemical clean is a fairly easy DIY job if you think there might be sludge (very common on an older system, or an old one that has had a new boiler fitted)

If you find signs of black sludge a Magnaclean is very good for trapping it , but you need to do the chemical clean and flush as well. A powerflush will cost some hundreds of pounds so if you can make an improvement with chemicals and magnets it will be worthwhile.

thanks for reply.

Already tried to balance the system but basement rads still remain cold. I think the system was flushed about a year ago when some new rads were added ( the number of rads in this house has increase by a third). Inhibitor was also added.

Thats what makes me wonder if there are now too many rads for this combi to handle.

Advice... but not from an expert!

Have you tried switching all other rads off to see if the duff ones get hot? If they do then this suggests others stealing heat and balancing might help (or combi cannot cope). You said you had already balanced but just to check - you really have to only open the valves up just a TINY bit on the other rads - too much and they steal all the heat.

Sponsored Links
not a plumber, but a part time landlord. i fitted a new heating system to a 4 story house i rent out. 100kbtu boiler was used new. the basement rads also didnt get hot - only slightly warm.

i firstly uprated the 22mm leaving the boiler to 28mm until the first breakout on the ground floor (boiler in basement). this was suggested by baxi engineer first. it didnt work so added second pump and problem solved. pump £50 odd plus electrician cost of £40.

Can i add another pump to this combi or can the pump be upgraded to a more powerful one??

Also, would adding a larger expansion vessel help.

Spent today turning all the other rads off and the basement rads did begin to warm up.

Still waiting for some good plumbing/heating advice. Is this set up oversized and what can i do to rectify it.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back