Cold Bridge on Door Frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a house a few months ago (have asked quite a few questions about it already!) and have had condensation issues which have been discussed elsewhere on this forum. Water vapour sources have been reduced as much as possible by the installation of extractor fan in the bathroom (door always closed), extractor in the kitchen and no washing dried in the house.

Humidity is mid 50%.

My question is whether or not I have cold bridging on my windows and door frames. Ever single one at ground level has a stip of beading condensation even if the glass and no other surface does. The issue is that all of the frames are wood and it has badly affected the wood over time. Photo below as example. The black line you see on both is where the water builds - not running down onto it, that is where it is formed. The windows and doors aren't leaking and there is no detectable draught at these points.

So as I can't realistically reduce the amount of water vapour we create and the house is heated to roughly 19 degrees all the time is there anything that can be done? I'm guessing it is a design/build flaw with these windows and doors as they all suffer the same thing and all were installed at the same time (about 12 years ago).

Short of removing them all or installing a PIV should I just sand and varnish them and accept it or can it be helped?

Cheers.

1448309676615-1730630527.jpg
1448309759280-839042786.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back