Cold downstairs radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a back boiler on the 1st floor of the house (3 storey house). The pipes for the ground floor are in the floor of the 1st floor so these pipes feed the first floor and the ground floor (by dropping down to the ground floor). Recently one radiator is cold on the ground floor (large rad 7' x 2'). There is hot water up to the in valve but the rad is cold. So what have I done? Removed rad and flushed, attached hosepipe to in valve and turned on valve - excellent flow. Done the same on the return valve - excellent flow. A small amount of sediment came out of the radiator and out of the return pipe. Reconnected everything and......no difference. Radiator is fully bled, valves are fully on. All other radiators are hot, including the one on the ground floor immediately prior to the cold radiator downstairs. I can think of nothing else to do. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I haven't tried that yet. The radiator has been hot for the last 2 winters without a problem and so I haven't considered rebalancing (I guess that's where you're heading). I'll give it a try, but won't be until tomorrow

I turned off all rads except the cold one and the cold one got hot. I guess this means that I need to rebalance the system, but why? The system was working fine until a few weeks ago and then suddenly this one rad went cold - nothing had been changed. Could it be the pump that is losing efficiency - the rad is, I think at the end of the system?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back