Cold Feed or Hot&Cold Feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the benefits, if any, of having a washing machine which has a hot & Cold feed ???

Sponsored Links
takes less time / energy to heat the water from cold to the required temp

Whilst looking around for a new machine I came across some stuff explaining why manufacturers have switched to cold feed only in recent years. Logic is:

a) Modern machines use less water - first part of the fill cycle will only use cooler water from the pipework, so only a small amount of "real" hot water will reach the machine.

b) With less water and lower temperature washes it's more difficult to mix to an accurate temp (especially if the temp increases during the fill as the "real" hot water arrives).

c) With less water the heat losses from pipework (hot water left standing in pipework when fill has finished) start to cancel out any efficiency benefits of using the domestic hot water source (this efficiency was previously the selling point for hot/cold fill machines).

Thats what the manufacturers are saying at the moment. Also of course cold fill = less valves and pipes, no mixing etc so cheaper machines compared to competitors hot/cold fill machines.

Our machine is in a utility room extension and the hot feed is at the end of a fairly long run so I can see the logic in the above and I'm happy to go with a new cold feed only machine. If you machine is closer to the hot water source hot fill may still be of benefit.

Agree with everything above, plus, I have a hot feed washer and it only takes in hot water (cool from standing in the pipes) for the maximum 90c wash which is rarely used, all others 60c, 40c and cool wash take in cold. So next time, I will go for cold only, cheaper and easier to plumb with no down side really.

Sponsored Links
I think I'm right in saying that most machines on the continent are cold fill only and that machines are "modified" for the British market - I believe it's to do with many continentals having mains pressure hot water/not having hot water cylinders?

We have always had cold fill washing machines because of the difficulty in getting a hot supply to the outhouse, and they have have been perfectly satisfactory.

Bosche machines only take cold fill, I was told that this gives much better wash performance. Plus if you've got a lot of washing to do and want a bath !!!! or worse still a shower!!

Bathing or showering won't be affected as the machine only takes a few gallons of hot at a time and uses cold for all rinses. Any shower will (should) also be the first fed from from the hot tank so flow won't be affected either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back