Cold in Antrim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My oil fired central heating has just packed up and its cold. The burner seems to be working as if I increase the thermostat it fires up. The boiler itself is warm as is the pipes to the pump. The pump seems to be working as I can hear water moving about when I switch it on/off. It is also vibrating however the pipe after the pump is not warm.
What can I do? I did phone my local plumber who serviced it last week however he is inundated with calls and cant come out.

Sponsored Links
Is it a sealed or vented system?
Could be an air lock. Try releasing the slotted screw on the circulator and see if any air is purged.
Try bleeding the rads for air.

Sealed or vented - I dont know. Its a riello burner and a small turquoise pump named wilo

Sponsored Links
No definately nothing like that connected to the boiler. The boiler itself is old and I dont think it has a name on it.
I did unscrew the screw int he middle of the pump and nothing happened.

You might have a loft feed and expansion cistern.
Check that to see if its holding any water or frozen solid. I'd expect the latter if no measures were taken against the cold. Its reaching -15 here in NI.

Does anyone know any central heating repair people who are working on boxing day? (I wouldnt expect them to work on xmas day!)

Does anyone know any central heating repair people who are working on boxing day? (I wouldnt expect them to work on xmas day!)

Get hold of an old shoe, switch the heating on and then hammer the side of the pump with the heal of the shoe, this will sometimes free the pump as it may be stuck.

Happy xmas
spraggo

daytime temps in antrim have been around minus eight around the airport,nightime temps have got as low as minus fifteen,i would suspect a frozen pipe,water was freezing within one hour yesterday.

Dont bother looking for an old shoe.

If you loosen the big pump screw inside the end of the shaft has a well defined slot and a 3mm screwdriver you can feel if the shaft is rotating. If not then use the screwdriver to try to rotate the shaft in case it has become seized up.

Thats easy to do first. But I would still wonder if you have a frozen pipe in the loft!

Tony

Wilo pumps are currently exhibiting a fault where it appears to be running, but the impeller is seized. Remove the pump and gently try moving the impeller. Do not force it. I guess this might be a newish boiler under warranty. Replace the pump with a new one, and deal with warranty issues after the holiday.

EDIT oops, I should have read it was an old boiler. Check the pump and water level.

He said that he can hear water moving about when the pump is powered so that would make me think the pump is working but there is a lack of water.

But he has disapeared and not done the most simple of tests to the pump and checking the loft tanks.

Tony

The problem was a frozen pipe underneath the garage. Realised this today when it thawed and water flooded out of the garage.

Now no heat and no water and waiting a plumber to come and dig up the concrete garage floor.

At least it was in the garage and not in the house!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back