Syntoms of a faulty water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If my water pump on my warmflow oil burner was not working what would be the syntoms would it cause my oil burner to shut down after a minute ot to it seems all around the water pump seems to be very warm but there is no warm water any where thx

Sponsored Links
Hi mate

I know nothing of oil, but it the water side of it works like normal gas boilers then yea, there sounds like a problem with the pump, OR theres no water in it.

Is there a header tank or a sealed system? has any work been done recently on the water side/radiators.?

Quite often if theres air in the pump, or lack of water in the system the pump will heat up as there water cooled bearings. theres a possibility if it was just needing bled or topped up that the pump will have damaged its self by running for a while like that.

A jammed pump will usually get too hot to touch, and hotter than the pipes around it, since the electric motor is trying to turn and there is no flow of water to carry the heat away (though this can also happen if there is no water in the pipes)

Take off the silver screw in the centre of the pump and see if the spindle is spinning, if not, see if you can turn it with a screwdriver.

pumps are moving parts, so they do wear out and need to be replaced. Dirt and sediment in the water (usually black) make them wear out faster.

There will be isolating valves on each side of the pump to help remove and replace it, but sometimes these are jammed too :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back