IS my water pump kaput ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, this is my first post and suspect that possibly like others it's through nescessity, anyway here goes.

Whilst away with my partner we got a call from her daughter saying "we where out of home heating oil" I knew this wasn't the case and upon returning home today confirmed this (near half a tank full) I switched on the heating and hey presto it fired up as usual but after about 15mins it knocked off. Radiators in the house were stone cold but in the outside shed the water pipes running from the boiler to the water pump were hot, the pipes after the water pump were warm but not just as hot. The thermostat on the boiler was set at 65 deg. I yanked up the thermostat and hey presto the burner fired up again, after 5 mins or so it knocked off. At this point there was still no heat in the radiators but the water pipes in the shed before the pump were roasting hot and again a little warmer below but no where near as hot. After turning the heating off at the switch indoors and letting the system cool I fired it up again and felt the water pump (Hmm nearly a big mistake) still pretty warm, there was no slight hum or vibration which I think there should be. Now if the water pump fails would these be signs to expect, I don't want to go buy a new pump if i'm completly wrong. My partner says the heating is in 10yrs. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The heating pump is probably stuck following its idle summer months. You might be able to free it. Does it have a large screw head on the top of the cylindrical motor section?

Sorry guys, think that pic is a little big, I'll blame it on my camera phone and the fact that it is Saturday night and I my be a little out of focus as well.........................

Sponsored Links
Can't you make the picture smaller? It screws up the whole page setting.

Anyway, it's that black octagonal knob that you need to unscrew and pull outwards. It will then engage with the shaft of the pump. When it does this you can twist it backwards and forwards to free the pump shaft. Some water will leak out so you might want to have some rags handy. When you've freed the shaft screw the black knob back in.

I know sorry, how do I delete it ?
You can delete it by editing the post. Go to the top right hand corner of the post (that's way, way, way over to the right!) and click on the edit tab.

Ah, you've done it! Well done. Sorry to get a bit irked, but it's late and getting old and crotchety.

Thanks Chris, will give that a go tomorrow, there's no damage can be done trying this. Sorry I guess if there was you'd have said. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing I once heard said and that def refers to me lol

Would a little precision engineering with a rubber mallett help things along something like freeing a jammed starter moter if the screw fails or is that not recommended ? If all else fails would buying a replacement pump be a wise step and approx what is the cost ?

.. there's no damage can be done trying this.
I don't think so. It might be best to turn the pump off while you do it, otherwise the knob might twist out of your hand when the shaft frees. I suppose there's some remote chance of an electric shock, what with water and electricity, so best turn it off while you free it.

If it doesn't respond to that treatment you might have to replace it. A 5 metre head pump should be fine, costing maybe £40 if you look around. Screwfix or Toolstation do cheap ones, although Grundfos are the most common and expensive.

Well tried the screw this morning and then had a look at the water pump...sorry old sad joke but couldn't resist it.

No joy with the screw so stopped water supply to the pump and removed it took it inside to the comfort of the kitchen and opened it up, cleaned it poked it turned it put it back together and then plugged it in and away she went so immediately switched her off as i think she needs to run wet. Heating up and running but by past experience with any mechanical item it's prob a sign its on its last legs.

Anyway thanks for the help I wouldn't have had the dogs nuts to go for the pump on my own hunch as I wasn't sure if it was indeed the problem.

I'll give you a shout in 2 weeks when no doubt I'll be replacing it lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back