Radiators are cold and hot water is available

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have Potterton boiler with a hot water and cold water tank in the bathroom airing cupboard and an expansion tank in the loft. There is a pump connected to the boiler. The pump is a Wilo Gold 50 pump. which takes water to the radiators. i think the hot water is not thru pump it comes directly from the tank.

Now the problem is after not having any heating and hot water for all the summer, the radiators are not getting heated up now. the hot water seems to be available. But the radiators are not getting any heat. We bleeded all the radiators once and they seemed to work. Again after a couple of days they are not working. The pump is hot when the radiators are hot. the radiator nearest to the pump and tank is getting heated up but not any other radiator.

Sponsored Links
Start by checking your pump.
With the heating on, remove the bleed cover on the front of the pump to check its turning.
Has your system got a 3way valve, it allows heating water to your hot tank and once hot shuts it off.
If you have one of these it could be stuck and not letting heating water to your rads.

Sponsored Links
The radiators are not heated at all...i mean the boiler fires up only for the hot water but not for radiator heating

have you one of these
imagesug.jpg

or

imapo.jpg

you said this
The pump is hot when the radiators are hot. the radiator nearest to the pump and tank is getting heated up but not any other radiator.

so how do you work this out if the boiler isn't firing up ?

yes i have one valve like the first image and like i said before the radiator nearest to the tank and the pump is heated only when the boiler is working for hot water and the boiler fires up only when a lot of hot water is used... we switched on the hot water and the central heating only a week ago after a long switch off for summer. But the CH was not working so we bleeded all the radiators. this seemed to help and the radiators were heated for a couple of days. af ter 2 days the radiators are not getting heated up even if the CH and HW has been on( as per the timer been set to 24 hours). We get hot water continuously. When we run a bath the boiler fires up and the pump seems to get heated up and the radiator immediately next to the pump. When there is enough hot water every thing stops.

on the end of the valve is a lever push the lever across and it will clip into a slot, will the heating turned on and stat turned up. does the boiler fire up ?

if the lever is not got any movement sounds the the spindle is seized in the valve.

has the valve got any names numbers on the valve cover at all ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back