No hot water!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our radiators are working fine but we haven't been getting any hot water for about a week now...not good for showering! The water is hot for about 30 seconds then starts to run cold. Our boiler seems to be working fine and the hot water tank upstairs seems to be hot. Our house is about 18 years old and we don't appear to have a cold water tank in the loft. There are two pumps in the airing cupboard linked in to the hot water tank. These are Grundfos pumps and I'm assuming that perhaps one of them has failed but they both seem to be whiring away fine. The immersion heater sounds like its heating the tank when we switch it on - but still no hot water. Cant really afford a plumber at the moment. Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
Mixing valve faulty......... reading the crystal ball here but it sounds like a thermal store with one pump for the boiler to heat the cylinder and one for heating, usually has a mixing valve to control hot water temp...... could be goosed???/

Thats odd when Kristo tells you that he thinks its the mixing valve and you reply to ask if he thinks its the pump!

Sponsored Links
A valve with MIX on it sounds like a very strong clue!

Sometimes the old ones can be cleaned out but a new one is easier for a DIYer.

Tony

Thanks Tony, off to a plumbers merchants this afternoon! Thanks so much for your help and I'll let you know if it worked! Have to get this sorted today, the kids are covered in chocolate and need a warm bath!!!!

Nobody seems to have a mixing valve like this one! Even the plumbers merchants hadn't got one...might be an internet job...!

the manufacturer of those mixing valves is 'oventrop'. try putting that into google

Thanks DDK - that was a big help. I've found the website...only problem, do I need a 'blending valve' or a 'mixing valve' or are they the same thing?!!!

same thing mate. not a bad job to do your self either. turn off mains water at your stop tap and open all the hot taps in the house, then simply disconnect the 3 nuts on the valve. just make sure you replace the rubber washers with new ones (they should come with the valve)

Oh the joys of discussion using the powers of second sight......... Now we have identified the part would love to know if it gets fixed :LOL: :D
A wee round of applause to all the lads on here that regularly offer brilliant diagnosis on the basis of no information other than a vague description...... and to the recipients , its nice to know if things actually work..... let us know and then folks.. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back