just got home...hot water pressure is strange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. happy holidays.

just got back after being gone for a couple of weeks. we have a really old flat with an immersion heater (2 electric elements) as our only source of hot water.

the cold is running fine, but the hot water will run for a few seconds (it is cold to the touch) then the pressure drops off. if i let things sit for a while, it will again run well for a few secs, then drop to a trickle. i've felt the immersion tank and it feels hot as usual. also, we have a pump that helps our pressure situation by moving the cold water (a bit) and the hot water (a lot) along. the pump seems to be working as normal (i can hear it turn on and i've shut it off/turned it back on and seems ok)

i thought there might have been a pipe freeze but tried running the water for a while, and things haven't changed for about 6 hours now.

any thoughts?? thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
You probably have a blockage in the feed from the cold water tank to the hot tank. This may be a rat, pidgeon, or mouse with its head stuck in the pipe. You need to look in the cold tank first.

many thanks for your replies.

i've just checked the tank above the immersion heater. there is water in it. also, i've got a cover over that tank, so i'm not sure much could get in there, but will see if i can get a look inside.

if you have any other thougts, they'd be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Run your hot water tap and check if the tank is refilling. You may have an air lock which needs looking at. Do a search as there are lots of replies on this subject. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back