Loss of hot water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice about loss of hot water pressure throughout our house.

We live in a bungalow and have our hot water tank in the airing cupboard and the cold water tank in the attic.

For the past month or so every time we switch on the hot water tap in either the bathroom or the kitchen, the water comes out at normal pressure for about ten seconds then slows to a trickle.

We do have a booster pump installed in the airing cupboard which connects to both the hot and cold water pipes.

Any ideas as to what could be causing the loss of pressure?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
You may have trapped air causing lack of pressure , you don't say what the pumps for , is there a shower which uses the pump, does the pump run?

It's a salamander RHP 45 pump a whole house one?

I've actually checked the pump itself and it is not making any noise or whirring when water is running, and the black electrical box that the power goes into on the top of the pump is loose so I'm wondering if it's a problem with the power supply to the pump.

I've actually checked the pump itself and it is not making any noise or whirring when water is running, and the black electrical box that the power goes into on the top of the pump is loose so I'm wondering if it's a problem with the power supply to the pump.

Then congrats you have found your problem ;) :D

You may have trapped air causing lack of pressure , :eek: how did the air get in :?:

Sponsored Links
No idea, I'll check the pump and then get a plumber in if it's anything more complex than a blown fuse :)

Thank you!

Fintan, Sorry this was not a question directed at you,
You may have trapped air causing lack of pressure , how did the air get in

I was just being lazy with the keys :oops:

Your problem lies with the pump, do you feel competent to check it electrically :?:

I've replaced the fuse :) and it's not that.

As regards feeling competent to checking it electrically yes I think I so.

The most complex electrical thing I've done in the past has been to wire in a cooker, if that answers your question.

What would I need to do?

I've opened up the power box on the pump for want of a better word and it looks like all the wires into it are securely connected.

The cold water is fine for pressure, and we've not had a problem with not getting hot water i.e. the tank not refilling, it's a pure hot water pressure problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back