Cold Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our kitchen is absolutely freezing and I'm not sure if we're losing heat through the floor, or out the door or under the kick-board or window etc..

Unfortunately there isn't sufficient room to fit a radiator in there.

Is there a tool or device that you can use to pinpoint the draft or cold/coldest points in a room?

Sponsored Links
Never heard of those. Looks like a great idea. Thanks for recommending.. Are they expensive to run?

Re cat.. Need to get some ham out and tempt the neighbours in to test. :LOL:

You can have electric kickspace heaters or have them plumbed in to CH and only the fans runs on electric [so cheaper otion].

Sponsored Links
Our kitchen is absolutely freezing and I'm not sure if we're losing heat through the floor, or out the door or under the kick-board or window etc..

Is there a tool or device that you can use to pinpoint the draft or cold/coldest points in a room?
Is the kitchen a ground floor ext? heat is lost mainly thru roof, windows and walls , an any poorly fitted doors.
The kickspace is part of the room so heat cannot be 'lost' there.

Not an extension no, just part of the original 3 bed house. Ground floor. I wonder if it's the door then.. Hmm

I have a myson 500 the fan is rated at 26 watts so a lot less than a light bulb. so really very little more to run than any radiator.

They do not blow until the water is up to temp and shut off when it drops, you can also use them to blow just air around in summer.

Another thread hijack...

Have you considered a Kickspace heater in the plinth?

http://www.myson.co.uk/kickspace.asp

And a cat will find the warmest spot no trouble :D

Wow! these look to answer all my prayers at once! I didn't realise there was a hydro-version of these things.

does anyone have any experience of how reliable they are? Are they worth the money and are there any other competing manufacturers that may have similar devices?

I had settled on loosing a space in my kitchen for a vertical rad - but these would allow me to keep the space useable.

Had mine about 2 years now seems fine slight hum when it is on but in a kitchen that is no problem. Only thing we have found is it can get switched to hi or low speed, or summer winter if the rocker switches are hit with the broom / mop when cleaning the floor in front.

We have had one in the kitchen for nearly 20 years.

It is a little bit rattly when it starts up, but pushes the heat out when it is running.

Would certainly replace with exactly the same when it dies.

Is the kitchen a ground floor ext? heat is lost mainly thru roof, windows and walls , an any poorly fitted doors.
The kickspace is part of the room so heat cannot be 'lost' there.

My kitchen tends to get cold too. After a while I figured out what it was - my house has a boxed in internal downpipe venting out of the roof that runs through the corner of the kitchen and bathroom, so effectively I have a conduit from the loft to the kitchen floor.
When I refurbished my kitchen I removed the 2mm thick ply boxing th pipe in, built the corner units around it and boxed in above it with 18mm MDF which was then tiled over. Didn't bother at floor level and as it was the middle of summer didnt notice any cold dropping down either!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back