Cold Rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rad that remains cold no matter what I do. I can open and close valves at both ends. I can bleed the rad from both valves, I mean I can close the right one and still get pressure from the left to bleed - and I can also close the left valve and bleed by opening the right one.
The right pipe gets hot and this heat transfers partly into the rad when bleeding. The left valve remains cold at all times? the rad goes cold when I stop the bleeding. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
maybe a balancing or airlock problem.
try closing the hot rads. to push the full flow to the cold rad.

if all the other rads are hot, close all the others. and see if this one gets hot.

If so, you need to balance the radiators.

What colour is the water that comes out, and how old are the radiators?

Does the heating have a feed and expansion (small water tank) in the loft?

too slow :oops:

Sponsored Links
if all the other rads are hot, close all the others. and see if this one gets hot.

If so, you need to balance the radiators.

What colour is the water that comes out, and how old are the radiators?

Does the heating have a feed and expansion (small water tank) in the loft?

too slow :oops:

The bled water is clear. The water when I opened the connection on the rad to one of the valves came out slightly black. The system is older, say 6plus years, but this rad is part of a new extension. Did not change the pump or the boiler.
Last year (winter) the rad came on and worked fine. I closed it to cool the room down when spring came and opened the valve again to heat the room a couple of weeks ago. Thought is might be stuck trv or other valve but these work fine.

There is an expansion tank and it does have water in it. thanks to both of you for your help, much appreciated!!!

manual valve or trv?
if trv, that will be your number one chance
rad worked til say april, and when you first turned it back on after 8 months, nothing happened. did i get that right?

maybe a balancing or airlock problem.
try closing the hot rads. to push the full flow to the cold rad.

You win! Did what you said and switched off other rads. Its warm and no more grief, if you know what i mean!

Thank you so much!

and thanks to everyone else who pitched in with ideas.

manual valve or trv?
if trv, that will be your number one chance
rad worked til say april, and when you first turned it back on after 8 months, nothing happened. did i get that right?

You are right and thought it may be the same problem but it was open when i checked.

Thanks

23_33_6.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back