Cold radiator and draining the system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small mid-terrace house that was built in 1995. There are 2 radiators downstairs and 3 upstairs.

The biggest radiator in the house, downstairs in the lounge, only gets hot on the very top and down both sides, about 3 inches from the edges. The rest of the radiator is stone cold.

I have tried turning all the other radiators off at the main valve and this radiator gets hotter at the top but the rest still stays cold so I don't think it is a balancing issue.

I have tried bleeding this radiator and get only water out but the water is almost completely black. Am I right in assuming the radiator is full of crud and needs flushing through?

If the water is black should I drain the whole system rather than just this radiator?

The system uses a boiler in the kitchen and a hot water tank in the bathroom with header tanks in the loft. Should I just turn off the valves in the header tank and drain everything from the lowest rad?

The system also uses pipes made from grey plastic. Does this change anything? Should I use a chemical to flush the system through or will this damage the plastic pipes?

Sponsored Links
Chemical won't damage the plastic pipes.

A system flush is what is required, but this one rad may need to be removed on its own, taken outside and flushed with a garden hose.

This should keep you warm over xmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back