Cold radiators downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three of the radiators downstairs (that are close together)are cold as are the pipes leading to the radiators. All of the radiators upstairs including two radiators downstairs are piping hot.

I have tried draining the system but this did not help. In addition after draining the system some water remained in the radiators that do not work. I was not sure how to drain the cold radiators without flooding the house! as they do not have a hose outlet to them.

This problem has happened before and a plumber cut one of the (blocked) pipes leading to one of the cold radiators which sorted the problem until now.

Please can you help?

Sponsored Links
do any of the three rads have a drain off valve ...or anywhere on the pipework for that drop (assuming its a drop feeding 3 rads)

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I can tell none of them have a drain off valve or on the pipework. I am not sure what the 'drop' is that you refer to.

It is difficult to follow the pipework to see exactly how all the rads are connected as they are hidden by walls and boxed up in certain parts.

Turn all your rads off except one of these three. Switch the heating on. What happens?

Are you the OP?

Sponsored Links
you say you have drained the system before so i assume that it filled up ok this being the case the fault is probably because you have magnatite or sludge in the down stairs rads if there is no drain cock you will have to drain each rad into a bowl then remove them to the garsen and wash them out with a hosepipe also at this point open the rad valves and flush out the pipes that should do the job good luck

I have turned off all the rads except one of the ones not working and there is no difference. Not sure what OP means?

As far as draining the rads is concerned - do I have to drain the system as well at the same time? What is the best way to drain the rads without flooding the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back