Cold Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one cold radiator. On reading previous forums, I have removed the plastic cap and "tapped" the pin and hey presto, one hot radiator. However, when replacing the plastic cap, it goes cold again.
Help please :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
yes its a TRV.... I think :LOL: I've unscrewed it and removed the plastic cap & the radiator instantly heats, but within about half an hour of replacing it it goes cold again.
Not sure if it helps but it's a Caleffi.

Sounds like your putting the wrong cap on it you need to put a trv on it if so. sounds like the cap is closing the pin. search trv on google.

Sponsored Links
the plastic cap is whats always been on.. worked up until a few days ago....i'm wondering if i'm not quite putting it back on correctly.....i've tried several different ways :confused: Just trying to save paying out for a plumber.....
Thanks for your help by the way [/img][/url]

I've added an image of the thermostat control head....not sure if it will show, it maybe clear I'm new to all this !
there is another connection the other end, which I'm guessing is the lockshield you mentioned? I've left the cap off for now & radiator is red hot ......
[/img]

Take the cap off and turn it over. Check that the pushbutton (that will move the pin up and down) moves as you turn through the dial settings.

You won't damage anything by leaving the TRV head off entirely, it'll just mean that the radiator is permanently on while the heating is on.

it doesn't seem to be moving... so I'm guessing I need a new cap??
Try pushing it. Could be it needs a bit of a "reminder" that it needs to move :LOL: :LOL:

If it does need replacing, I'd leave it off for a while since you may well have to replace the whole thing which means plumber time. Or, if there's a radiator somewhere which has a similar valve head and which it doesn't matter so much if it's permanently on or off then you can swap the heads over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back