Cold Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not long moved into my house and one radiator refuses to get hot. It’s cold at the bottom and Luke warm at the top. One of the pipes flowing into it is red hot but the pipe on the other side is cold. Both radiator valves look like lock shield valves so could that be the issue or is there a blockage somewhere? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Open the lockshield one full turn ,anti clockwise ,on the side with cold pipe. See if it makes a difference.

Turn off every other radiator by their TRV ,don't touch the lockshields ,see if problem rad heats up.

Sponsored Links
The rads probably gunged up . Is the system sealed ,combi boiler ?

Don't know what your DIY skills are like ,but I would remove the rad ,check water flows from both rad valves ,take rad outside and flush it.

I’m pretty competent. Will do as you say. Would I check for flow on pipes by taking rad off and cracking the valves with the boiler running to see if there’s a flow. Are the valves a problem? Both being lock shields?

Once rad is removed ,no need for boiler to be on ,just open one valve directed to a bucket ,to see if water flows out a strong rate. Top up boiler pressure ,and do the same on other valve. This will prove both pipes and valves are not blocked. Two lockshields are not a problem.

Update:
Sorry for the late reply. Eventually found a leak under the floor by the radiator. Fixed it and the rad gets hot now. Got an issue with the boiler now but will create a different post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back