Cold Radiators – desperate for help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have new boiler installed recently ( Eco Plus 831 ) with brand new pipework and I cannot get all my radiators to work. I can heat up 2-3 downstairs but rest is cold or 2-3 upstairs and the rest is cold.

I can heat up separately any of them but not all together. I tried balancing in different combinations, valves open, half opened, closed, etc. and nothing. At the beginning the first one is hot and more radiators I join to the circuit the cooler they all become.

Question: where the problem is?

Pipework ?

Pump?

Lockshield valves?

Something else?

I appreciate any help.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the 'sticky' about balancing. It works well.

I tried balancing in all configurations even with measuring temperature on flow and return pipes.

Installer was saying everything is fine with his work and this is a boiler's fault. Guy from the boiler says that the boiler is fine and now I just would like to know who is right. (Now installer stopped answering my phone calls)

I thought that here I will be able to get at least possible causes or rule out some based on the symptoms so I can take further actions.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Did the rads heat up b4 boiler change?
Have they been ok after boiler change and got worse?
For whatever reason seems like a circulation problem, was the system flushed?

Did the rads heat up b4 boiler change?
Have they been ok after boiler change and got worse?
For whatever reason seems like a circulation problem, was the system flushed?

Circulation problem is what I would bet on. I just hope I do not need to do anything with the pipes.

The boiler was fitted with new pipes and new rads. Before there was old system with 10mm pipes. Now I have 22mm going from the boiler and 15mm to the rads.

I never had them working properly but was told that this is a balancing problem so I am balancing them for weeks now :(

Tom

So you got one installer to do the rads and another to do the boiler? Go figure! You need to carefully balance the system - some radiator lockshields will only need to be open a quarter turn to get sufficient flow if they are nearest the boiler - fully open or half open for all rads isn't going to balance anything.

So you got one installer to do the rads and another to do the boiler? Go figure! You need to carefully balance the system - some radiator lockshields will only need to be open a quarter turn to get sufficient flow if they are nearest the boiler - fully open or half open for all rads isn't going to balance anything.

The same guy did both. When I say a boiler guy I mean the guy from Vaillant who I called to eliminate boiler failure.

Balancing does not work. I turn valves by inches now and still the same. The one which was boiling hot gets cold and the one which was cold barely gets warm.

Get the installer back to balance your system then - it's HIS responsibility. Has it ever worked? Check the benchmark has been filled out correctly in the MI. Do you have hot water?

Get the installer back to balance your system then - it's HIS responsibility. Has it ever worked? Check the benchmark has been filled out correctly in the MI. Do you have hot water?

I am trying to but it is always the same story - I am busy, try to balance them.

I hope he will come soon, but I posted these questions to see if there is anything I can do myself to check where the problem is.

I just would like to rule out possibility of pipework being design in a wrong way or blockage which cannot be sorted out without removing the floor.

Hot water is absolutely fine and also when balancing at the beginning first 2-3 radiators are boiling hot but more rads join the circuit the cooler all become.

Was the installer gas safe registered?

Did he complete the Benchmark Certificate?

Do you know his registration number?

If the pipework is correct then its difficult to think of why it should not run very well.

Have you considered getting a local expert to have a look?

Tony

Was the installer gas safe registered?

Did he complete the Benchmark Certificate?

Do you know his registration number?

If the pipework is correct then its difficult to think of why it should not run very well.

Have you considered getting a local expert to have a look?

Tony

As I was refurbishing the whole house it was done by a builder who was using contractors, so I have actually never seen a plumber. I have however his name somewhere in the papers and his number as well.

I have managed to get hold of the builder so we will sort things out, however meanwhile I just wanted few hints what else could be checked or done by me.

Are you sure that the installer replaced all the 10mm pipes with 15mm? Or just the radiator tails? If microbore pipe isn't connected to 22mm using manifolds it can be a real pain to balance. If it's all 15mm onto 22mm main runs, then it should have plenty of flow. Are all of the TRVs fully open for balancing? Keep trying - shut all the lockshields except the first two rads, get first rad lockshield valve passing just enough water to get the radiator hot - in many cases you can hear the flow noise as water starts to move through the rad, move on to the second rad, do the same. Recheck the first rad, it may now need a little more flow - and I mean a little. Move on to the next radiator. And the next. Use SMALL adjustments to get them all hot, move on again. Don't move on until the rads you have opened up are decently hot. Check they are all fully bled. Did the installer fit a hydraulic bypass (auto bypass) ? If so, perhaps it's set too low or it's defective and passing heating flow straight back to the boiler. The system may be incorrectly piped as Tony says. If, as you say, the boiler is getting some rads hot, then the boiler at least appears to be working. Hope this helps. GET THE INSTALLER BACK!! ;)

He won't be back. He's making a grand a day on another bodge.

If you employed a builder, your contract is with him. Don't bother chasing his subbies, chase the builder to get it sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back