Cold Radiators Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Two days ago I noticed that the radiators upstairs were cold at the top and warm at the bottom and after doing some research I discovered that this was most likely air in the radiators.

So I started bleeding the upstairs radiators but one of them did not have any water coming out so I checked the boiler pressure - barely registering off zero. Thankfully the installer had left the connecting pipe attached from the mains and I managed to get the pressure up to half a bar which then dropped again when I bled the radiator upstairs (I was being as cautious as I could).

I kept this up hoping to achieve at least one bar of pressure. Unfortunately for me I soon found out why the boiler pressure was low and there was a lot air in the upstairs radiators as there was a popping noise and the next thing I knew was warm water pouring through the light fitment in the kitchen....

Some time later after getting a plumber in to do the job properly I found out that a pipe had been leaking for some time and had finally come loose when I upped the pressure, hence all the water. Annoyingly, he said he would have done exactly the same as I did with the exception of working out why the big pressure drop and air in the radiators had occurred. Unfortunately for me I identified where the problem was the hard way!

After the pipe was reconnected, ceiling repaired and the boiler now registering one and a half bars and working (or so I initially thought). I repeated the bleeding of the radiators as there was a lot of air in the system. The pressure has dropped down to half a bar again but is steady. (A lot of air came out).

My problem is now three radiators downstairs are stone cold, another three downstairs are hot and all six radiators upstairs are hot.

I have checked for air bleeding them and there is none as water comes out but they are cold all over. I tried a boiler reset and nothing. None of the valves have been touched and were working prior to this escapade.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

Sponsored Links
As you said there has been alot of air in system, my guess is they are air locked - it's a very common problem.

Try shutting off all the other radiators (by TRV only) but one cold one, and turn the CH on, if you have access to the pump and can change the setting, switch the speed to 3. Do this for each individual radiator to shift any air.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back