Cold Radiators

Sponsored Links
Yes that's correct all the other radiators are cold and the problematic one is still cool and yes its a new radiator about 4 months ago.

Ok so would I need to get it power flushed maybe if its blocked? I have read that it gets rid of sludge and clears the pipes.

Thanks

James

Have you got a hot-water cylinder? Is the tapwater surprisingly hot?

Sponsored Links
Yes that's correct all the other radiators are cold and the problematic one is still cool and yes its a new radiator about 4 months ago.

Ok so would I need to get it power flushed maybe if its blocked? I have read that it gets rid of sludge and clears the pipes.

Thanks

James

Just add some cleaner into the system as I said before and concentrate it on the problem rad for as long and often as you can - understand you can’t have all other rads off for days/weeks on end but focus it for a few hours over several days

I like this product as you can leave it in and have had good results...
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/He...eating+Cleanser+/+Descaler+&+Inhibitor/p45091

Thanks how do you get it into the system?

And it says it makes the stuff smaller so it stays in the system but doesn't cause issues elsewhere?

Do you just leave it in there forever or does it have to come out after a certain amount of time?

I presume it can be used on the plastic and copper pipes I have in my system?

Thanks

James

If I were you ,and before adding any chemical cleaners etc .I would drain the rad that doesn't get hot and remove it. Then attatch a hose to each valve ,starting with the lockshield.take hose to outside drain and open the lockshield valve ,see what flow you get from hose. Open filling loop on boiler ,in effect using mains cold pressure to run through ,keeping an eye on pressure gauge to keep below 2 bar. Repeat on trv valve. Whilst doing this electrically isolate boiler first. This will tell you if the flow and return pipework ,and both valves on this rad are actually allowing water to flow through them.

Sorry just seen the last post!

I have put in a system cleaner and have some inhibitor as well for after it has hopefully worked its magic. I opened all the radiators fully yesterday and left the heating on for it to circulate. I have today turned all the other radiators off and left the problematic one on to concentrate the cleaning on this area. I have however noticed no change but it is still early days but none of the pipes going to the problematic radiator are hot they are only luke warm as well could this still be a blockage?

Thanks

James

I hope you have a magnetic filter fitted on your system. If you have ,have you checked it / cleaned it out ? If you haven't got one ,whatever the chemical cleanser frees up will be going through the boiler ,not great really.

Yes I appreciate that it does say to flush out after use which I will be doing. I am also having some work done early next year in the bathrooms and the plumber is going to fit one for me as I don't currently have one in place.

I have also turned the heating up on the boiler to max which seems to have heated up the radiator but again only the top part the bottom is still cold. I will leave it anyway to see what happens over the next few days but I may see if bleeding it helps any if there is air trapped at the bottom after about a week or so of the cleaner being in.

Last edited:
Just been having a read on the internet would balancing the system help? I have the the TRV vale which is red hot to touch and the opposite the lockshield which is cold. On the other radiators they are both red hot could this be an unbalanced system?

Thanks

James

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? The cleaner has now been in for a week and a half and still the issue is persistent with one side's valves being red hot and the other being cold and the radiator is still showing the same symptoms.

Thanks

James

If I were you ,and before adding any chemical cleaners etc .I would drain the rad that doesn't get hot and remove it. Then attatch a hose to each valve ,starting with the lockshield.take hose to outside drain and open the lockshield valve ,see what flow you get from hose. Open filling loop on boiler ,in effect using mains cold pressure to run through ,keeping an eye on pressure gauge to keep below 2 bar. Repeat on trv valve. Whilst doing this electrically isolate boiler first. This will tell you if the flow and return pipework ,and both valves on this rad are actually allowing water to flow through them.

Did you take action as per above ?

Hi,

I haven't done that yet as I only saw it after I had put the cleaner in and it was working around the system.

How do I electrically isolate the boiler while doing this? I can do this when I flush the system at weekend when the cleaner comes out.

Thanks

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back