Cold Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Again

Before I start I know it is bloody cold at the moment, but here goes anyway.

I have a 2 bedroom terrace house with 6 rooms in total. Now the living room is at the front of the house with the front door opening directly into it. Due to this it seems to be the coldest room in the house even with the heating on full (from Worcester Combi). The rad is piping hot & I have curtains & draught excluders around the door but the room never seems to get snug; whereas the rest of the house gets nice and warm if not too hot up stairs. Any suggestions on how I could remedy this maybe an additional rad, although room is only small?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The rad is probably undersized!

However for a start you could ensure it is cleaned of dust and that it is out in the open and not boxed in by furniture etc.

Check the flow and return pipes and see thay are about 10° difference between them.

Tony

you probably suffer from draft, you need either a bigger rad or a second rad, no problem with that.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been doing some BTU calculations & think I will go down the route of replacing the current rad. When I do this is it ok to stick some fresh inhibitor into the new rad to get it into the system?

Sponsored Links
Hey???

The current radiator is a double in that it has a front & back water filled panel, but the rear panel does not have any fins on it, I assume to make it a slighly slimmer design. Would a double rad of the same size but with fins on the front & rear panels make much difference to the heat output?

not much

to make a substantial change you need a substantial amount of extra radiator.

Have a look at the pipes. If you are lucky and can get under the floorboards you will see where they run, and can put another rad, say, at the other end of the room. If this is too tricky you could fit a bigger one and adjust the pipes to suit. This is not a good time of the year to be putting your heating out of action for changes, but you can at least fit the new rad and run some of the new pipework before draining.

BTW if your heating system is an old open vented one (Feed & Expansion Tank in the loft) then you could give it a chemical clean by adding Sentinel X400 (will cost you £15) and circulating it with the heating system running for 4 weeks before draining to do your changes. Most old open systems are very dirty and this will remove some sludge, improve efficiency, and reduce the chances of future blockages.

On final fill be sure to add a corrosion inhibitor such as X100.

Thanks for the reply John.

Unfortunately access to under the floor is restricted due to laminate flooring. It is a combi/pressurised system that I believe to be not too dirty.

I assume that fitting a larger rad & adjusting the pipe work above floor level is the only option.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back