Advice please - which wireless room thermostat for WB 37cdi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm after a bit of advice, we're having some problems keeping the temp comfortable in our home.

I have a 3 bed semi with old aluminium double glazing, the loft is insulated properly and the walls are solid so cannot be insulated. The hall way gets a draught through the wooden front door, the door does have draught excluders but the hallway is definitely the coldest part of the house.

By using the boiler C/H temp we either get the house too hot or too cold.

So after doing a bit or research I think I need a room stat in the hallway and then set TRVs in all the other rooms of the house?

Can a room stat just be added to to my existing set up or should I get rid of MT10 timer and get a programmer/room stat combo?

And which brand is the best value? any recommendations appreciated, thanks.

Jit.

Sponsored Links
Siemens rev24rf works a treat on any combi, and Honeywell cmt927 is almost as good.
Stick it in the lounge rather than the hall for optimum comfort. FAQ item 12 for more info on how to set up ch controls.

Hi bengasman,

Thanks for the reply, I actually just read FAQ 12 after reading //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1405210#1405210

It doesn't say why you should put the room stat in the living room? our living room gets warm and the hall is cold - I guess if I get a wireless unit I could try it in both locations.

The hall just has normal valves and the living room has trv so I can experiment plenty.

So you'd recommend getting an all in one type unit and not just adding something like the drayton rf601?

Thanks.

...It doesn't say why you should put the room stat in the living room?

I presume you sit in the lounge and not in the hall. That makes your lounge of primary importance; as long as that is fine, you are not that worried about the hall.

If the hall would be the "master" and the lounge the "slave", your hall would be the "right" temperature, and your lounge could be too cold.

So you'd recommend getting an all in one type unit and not just adding something like the drayton rf601?
The Siemens rev24rf has a very accurate digital timer, and a very accurate digital thermostat all in one unit. This optimises comfort and savings by allowing you different temperatures for different hours on different days; it is all you will ever need, and it is quicker to install than a separate timer and roomstat, and less expensive too. And better than the drayton.

Sponsored Links
...It doesn't say why you should put the room stat in the living room?

I presume you sit in the lounge and not in the hall.

LOL - I think I need to get one and set it right with the TRV in the living room low, as the living room warms up fine but you open the door to the hall and it's cold

I'll look into the REV24RF - thanks for your help!

LOL - I think I need to get one and set it right with the TRV in the living room low, as the living room warms up fine but you open the door to the hall and it's cold.
You can not have a trv in the room with the roomstat; to make the roomstat work properly, you will need the trv fully open.

If the hall stay cold, your rad is either full of crap, valves closed, or it is far too small.

Why not just get a DT10RF or DT20RF simply plug into the boiler and you also have the benefit of the timer for your hot water pre heat

The rad in the hall should be ok as it was only installed in feb as part of a whole new system, new pipes and magnaclean also installed.

Too small maybe? when we turn the heating up on boiler control it does heat the hall ok. Just the living room would get too hot - maybe the living room rad is too big! oh well I'd rather be too hot than cold!

I was actually looking into the DT10/20 but didn't want to spend that much! the rev24rf is also more than I wanted to spend but I guess it's an investment!

If installed and set properly a quality product like the rev can easily save you £50 a year, without any loss of comfort. If you spend some time adjusting all the trv's to the minimum needed and still keep your comfort, you could well knock of another £50 per year.

The trick is to set all the trv's a bit lower than you expect to need, and only turn them up half a point per day when you find a room consistently too cold.
Make sure your ch setting on the boiler is quite low too; try it at 60C for a start, and only turn it up a bit if it takes too long to warm the house up. This boiler is the most efficient when it is set relatively low. No point sitting in the cold, so if don't hesitate to turn it up a bit if really needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back